Economic Demography Workshop Schedule - PAA 2003
1001 Marquette Ave., Minneapolis, MN
NICOLLET — 2ND Floor
Wednesday, April 30, 2003 — 1:00 - 6:00 pm
SESSION I: 1:00-2:15 — WELFARE REFORM
Chair: David C. Ribar, The George Washington University
1. "Welfare Transitions in the 1990s: The Economy, Welfare
Policy, and the EITC"
Jeff Grogger, UCLA
2. "Time-Limited Welfare Receipt: Evidence of Myopic Responses
and Forward-Looking Behavior"
Caroline Danielson, Welfare Policy Research Program, UC Berkeley
Maury Gittleman, US Bureau of Labor Statistics
Maria Hanratty, Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University
SESSION II: 2:20-3:35 — REPRODUCTIVE TECHNOLOGY, CHILD HEALTH
Chair: Terra McKinnish, University of Colorado
1. "Effects of Increased Access to Infertility Treatment
on Infant Health Outcomes: Evidence from Twin Births"
Marianne Bitler, RAND
2. "The Demand for Sex-Selective Abortion"
Claus Chr. Portner, Georgetown University
Reagan Baughman, University of Michigan
Anoshua Chaudhuri, University of Washington
SESSION III: 3:40-4:55 - FAMILY STRUCTURE
Chair: Jacob Klerman, RAND
1. "Family Structure and Children’s Educational Attainment:
A Comparison of Outcomes in Sweden and the United States"
Donna Ginther, University of Kansas
Andres Bjorklun and Marianne Sundstrom, Swedish Institute for Social
Research (SOFI), Stockholm University
2. "Are There Gains to Delaying Marriage? The Effect of Age at
First Marriage on Earnings and Career Development"
David Loughran, RAND
Julie Zissimopoulos, RAND
Sanders Korenman, Baruch College, CUNY and NBER